Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Turning Tides

For the past eight months, suffering in silence, is an understatement for what I have been experiencing. Holding my tongue has been difficult, but lashing out at an unknown entity would have been just plain stupid. Also I am the alien amongst the masses, carefully searching for my little spot in the sun, so perhaps it was wise to shut up, and observe. You know ... silence is golden .... and all that, blah blah blah ...

I've become quite the expert at quiet observation I must admit. Hopefully it's a virtue that will serve me well in the future, although I probably come across as a total spineless idiot to all the other drama queens and prima donnas I call colleagues.

Lately, the pieces of the puzzle have been slowly starting to fall into place. I am beginning to understand them. It's exactly the way I felt when I finally grasped the dynamics of Kalafong!! Strange ... ander dam se eende ... but I finally get it, sort of.

They are what they are, and that's it. No more, no less. And quite frankly, I don't give a rat's ass ... anymore.

So it is with this much lighter and much less sensitive heart, that I take myself off to work each day. My neon pink theatre shoes could give vision to the blind they're so bright, and add all the zest my day could possibly need.

Another such day in paradise, and I'm doing premeds. Good thing premeds are done in the mornings, when we still look fresh with freshly applied make-up, shiny lipgloss, and presentable hair! Once that theatre cap goes on, it's tickets for the day's glamour. Not to mention our scrubs, even the crappest fashion house's worst nightmare.

I'm having a conversation with my patient in my much-improved greek. Yep, much-improved. The husband keeps interrupting, answering my questions and generally being an irritation. I so hate it when people do that. I finally decide enough is enough, and look up at him trying to figure out the best way in which to explain that he should butt out, when he takes off his mirror-finished shades.

Ok, I think to myself, here it comes ... and I doubt whether my shiny lipgloss will be of any benefit.
I am a lawyer. Now, in this place a lawyer is something akin to the Father, the Ghost, and the Holy Spirit. Apparently the doctors too ... but I wouldn't know ...

I specifically requested that you be my wife's anaesthetist today.

Get out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost choke trying not to laugh!!!!!! I am dr anonymous!! Nobody knows of me around here???!!!

How is that I ask?

You come highly recommended by my colleague Georgos. You did him a few weeks ago and he told me to ask for you.

Georgos??? .... Georgos ... ah .... Georgos ... another lawyer ... I thank the Lord for the Omega 3 fish oils and Advanced brain food supplements I've been taking - I actually remember Georgos! The guy that considered me a Romanian. According to his expert knowledge I look and sound Romanian??!! I opted to take his comments as a compliment.

And where did you put in this request? I called the surgeon and told him it was you or no go.

Well, how I wish I could have been privy to that conversation!! Could the tides finally be turning?

I laughed out loud all the way back to theatre. And quietly to myself for the rest of the day!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Ramona! It feels good to know that I will find my place in society again.

    ReplyDelete